It’s not just mothers reminding their sons to brush their teeth … adult men are less likely to visit the dentist and perform basic dental hygiene.
The American Academy of General Dentistry administered a survey to dentists and consumers and found:
- 45 percent seemed to believe men don’t need regular dental check-ups
- 30 percent said men are afraid or embarrassed to go to the dentist
- 18 percent said they were too busy to go to the dentist
An older study in the Journal of Periodontology found that women are twice as likely to have had a dental check-up in the past year and were proactive in scheduling follow-up treatments.
Why are dental appointments important for men (and, of course, women)? The American Dental Association recommends dental check-ups every six months for a reason. During a check-up, the dentist or dental hygienist:
- Takes x-rays
- Evaluates the health of your teeth and gums
- Performs a head and neck evaluation
- Examine your face, bite, saliva and movement of your jaw
- Checks your lymph nodes
- Examine your gums and look for signs of gum disease
- Checks for loose teeth
- Checks the contact between your teeth
- Removes plaque and tartar
- Flosses, cleans and polishes your teeth
This regular check-up combined with twice daily brushing and flossing, is the key to good oral health — and good overall health. With regular dental visits, dental problems can be spotted early, which means treatment may be less complex and more affordable. In addition, a majority of systemic diseases have oral manifestations, thus the dentist may be the first to detect a disease such as diabetes, heart disease or oral cancer.
Men, don’t delay your dental appointments. Not enough time is not an excuse because dental problems can cause you to lose even more time off work. In addition, if you have dental fears, there are techniques such as dental anesthesia, that can help. So, call Enlighten Dental Care at 336.765.0904 and make your appointment today!