If you lose one or more teeth, the bone that surrounds the root does not receive any more stimulation from chewing, and it begins to wear away. This can cause your teeth to shift and drift into the open space, and opposing teeth on the top can actually drop down. Traditional methods of replacing teeth, such as bridges without dental implants, partials and dentures do not address the bone deterioration because they only replace the visible portion of the tooth — they do not replace the root. In addition, before the science of dental implants, the only way to replace a missing tooth was with a tooth-supported bridge, which meant healthy teeth had to be ground down to support the bridge.
Whether you are replacing a single tooth or many teeth, dental implants can be used with crowns, bridges and dentures to help prevent bone deterioration. Why? The implant is an artificial tooth root that the dentists at Enlighten Dental Care can place into your jaw in order to hold a replacement tooth (crown), bridge or dentures.
There are two types of dental implants:
- Endosteal implants are screws, cylinders or blades surgically placed into the jawbone. This is the most common type of implant.
- Subperiosteal implants are placed on top of the jaw. The metal framework posts protrude through the gum to hold the prosthesis.
The benefits of implant-supported crowns, bridges or dentures include the following.
- They help to minimize bone deterioration.
- They look, feel and function like normal teeth
- They do not compromise adjacent teeth by grinding them down for a bridge or securing a partial denture to them.
- They increase stability, making chewing more natural.
- They eliminate the pain of dentures and partials that fit poorly.
- They improve appearance.
- They are easier to clean than traditional tooth replacements.
Getting implants is a common, relatively pain-free procedure at Enlighten Dental Care. You will work with your dentist to create a plan that will ensure the best possible outcome. Your dentist will place the implant and form the gum tissue around the exposed collar of the implant. During the next few weeks, the bone will grow solidly onto the implant, and if the implant is in the aesthetic zone, a temporary tooth restoration will be placed while the site heals. Once healing is complete, your Enlighten Dental Care dentist will remove the cover screw and place the abutment, and take an impression in order to order the final crown, bridge or denture from the lab. When the final crown, bridge or denture is returned from the lab, your temporary will be removed and replaced , so your final beautiful smile will be put into place!
If you have questions about dental implants, please contact us at (336) 765-0904.