- Sugary foods and drinks should be consumed with meals. Why? Saliva production increases during meals and helps neutralize acid production and rinse food particles from the mouth.
- Limit between-meal snacks. If your children crave snacks, offer them nutritious foods.
- If your kids chew gum, make it sugarless. Chewing sugarless gum after eating can increase saliva flow and help wash out food and decay-producing acid.
- Monitor beverage consumption Instead of drinking soft drinks all day, children should choose water and low-fat milk.
- Help your children develop good brushing and flossing habits.
- Schedule regular dental visits.
Contact Enlighten Dental Care today for more information about how you can help your kids fight the “Sugar Wars!”