Happy New Year! While you are busy making that list of New Year’s resolutions about saving more money and going to the gym, make a few for your teeth, too! Here’s six resolutions that will help keep your smile healthy and bright for 2013.
- Stop sipping soda all day. Carbonated soft drinks have a lot of sugar and acids that can cause tooth decay. Juices and sports drinks also contain too much sugar. And diet sodas still have the acids that can erode your teeth. Best bet? Drink water! And at least rinse your mouth with water after having one of the other drinks.
- Stop chewing ice. It can chip, crack and break your teeth and wear down your tooth enamel. If you really are crave ice, you may have a condition called “pagophagia,” which is a compulsive consumption of ice and is associated with iron deficiency anemia. Treatment with iron supplementation may help.
- Avoid hard candy and chewy candy. (See our Halloween blog for reasons why on this one!) Starchy foods don’t do teeth any favors either!
- If you smoke, stop! It can cause discoloration to teeth, bad breath and, of course, cancers of the mouth and other parts of the body.
- Brush twice a day and floss every day. The best way to prevent tooth decay is by what you do at home, and brushing and flossing are the ways to remove plaque. Just make it a resolution and a habit! Read this blog for tips on brushing and flossing.
- Schedule dental appointments and don’t skip them! Professional dental cleanings twice a year form the foundation for preventing gum disease and tooth decay.
Remember, you are in control of your oral health! Take care of your teeth so they will last you for many New Years to come!